In keeping with the list to end all lists, my 101 in 1001, I decided that this summer cannot be a total schlump just because I'm a suburban single instead of a coupled-up Minneapolitan. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, Minneapolis comes alive in the way that only a city used to seven months of ice and snow can, and I intend to take full advantage of that. Here are a few of the items on my summer bucket "Lizt." Who wants to join me in checking them off?
1. Basilica Block Party, July 11-12. The line-up looks awesome and I'm particularly excited for Caroline Smith.
2. Firefly Music Festival, June 19-22. This technically isn't a Minnesota thing but I've had it on my calendar since my birthday and cannot wait, so there.
3. St. Paul Saints game. I haven't been to one since I was really little and I've heard they're a blast!
4. Twins game. Again, haven't been to one since the summer after I graduated college--time to get back to Target Field.
5. Uptown Art Fair, August 1-3. Like the Edina and Stone Arch Art Fairs, this is something of a family tradition and I live to browse the tents and booths for new discoveries.
6. Edina Art Fair, June 6-8. And a de rigeur stop for cocktails on Salut's patio after, of course.
7. Stone Arch Art Fair, June 14-15. And a de rigeur stop for vodka tonics with a whole lemon at Pracna, of course.
8. St. Paul food trucks, Wednesday lunch: one of my favorite summer traditions.
9. Happy hours on rooftops and patios: Crave, Cafeteria, Coup d'Etat, Hola Arepa, Salut, Union, and Solera to name a few.
11. Aquatennial Parade: a torchlit Minneapolis classic that I'm proud to say I've actually marched in (go high school band!).
12. 4th of July, Aquatennial fireworks: I adore fireworks without restraint. The 4th of July is a no-brainer, but the true winner in the Twin Cities is for sure the Aquatennial display. You'll find me on the Stone Arch Bridge oohing and ahhing like a five-year old.
13. Waterski: I grew up doing it and cannot wait to slalom again this summer!
14. Girlfriends' drunk day on the lake: Because nothing tops swimsuits, sipping a cocktail, and spending time with friends on the boat.
15. Walk the Lakes: Calhoun, Harriet, and Lake of the Isles, that is. The real-estate eye candy just adds a whole new dimension to the nearly-10-miles of walking paths.
16. Minnesota Zoo: I'll be skipping the barnyard exhibit because barn-smell makes me gag, and the uber-creepy Big Bugs summer special, but otherwise I can't wait to embrace my inner kid and go nuts over animals.
17. Minnesota Landscape Arboretum: I'm feeling a gorgeous sunny day admiring flowers and maybe spending way too much time in the butterfly garden.
18. Sea Salt Eatery/Minnehaha Falls: Hannah and I visited the Falls this winter when they were frozen solid, but I haven't been in the summer since probably high school. I've heard that Sea Salt has great seafood...sounds like a fun after-work stop for a hike and snack!
19. Brewery hopping: Kelsie and I have hit this one hard already! The Saturday of Memorial Day weekend we checked off Indeed, 612, and Sociable Ciderwerks, and recently also paid a visit to Dangerous Man. There are so many more to sample though! I'm particularly excited for the NE Brewers' Block Party.
20. Roadtrip: Perhaps to Chicago to visit Laura? Or up north for a weekend at Kelsie's cabin? We'll see!
21. Minnesota State Fair: It's the Great Minnesota Get-Together, y'all. I can't wait for cheese curds and people-watching and things on a stick.
23. Visit a farmers' market: For fresh flowers, or to check off #54?
24. DCI Minnesota: My inner band nerd is coming out full-force June 29th with fellow Band of the Fighting Irish alums! No shame.
25. Northern Spark, June 14: An all-night interactive art installation? Sign me up. This looks ridiculously cool.
Here's to the best 90 days of the year!